Welcome to Keep Smiling's fundraising page!
Thank you to all who donated or walked with us last year. This will be Keep Smiling's sixth year participating in the Walk to End Lupus Now. Last year our team raised over $3,600 and it would be awesome to beat that this year!
The Lupus Foundation is the only organization focused solely on lupus research and patient support. These walks take place across the country and are their primary source of funding.
I hope you will join our team by clicking "join team" on the right but if you can't, please consider making a donation to help us reach our fundraising goal. Every dollar helps!
<3 Ashlye, Team Captain
8:30 am Saturday, September 14th at Paradise Valley Mall
Here are some facts about lupus that you may not know
- Research indicates that about 1.5 million Americans have lupus. In fact, more Americans have lupus than AIDS, cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, sickle-cell anemia, or cystic fibrosis, making it one of this country's most prevalent medical problems.
- While lupus can strike anyone at any time, 90% of people living with lupus are women between the ages of 15 and 44.
- Based on a recent study, it takes an average of six years for people with lupus to be diagnosed from the time they first notice their lupus symptoms.
- The exact cause of lupus is unknown; however, research suggests it is caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors (e.g., infection, sunlight, stress) that trigger the disease in susceptible individuals.
- Lupus symptoms can be severe and highly unpredictable and can damage any organ or tissue, from the skin or joints to the heart or kidneys.
- Only one drug has ever been developed and approved by the US Food and Drug Administration specifically to treat the disease.
Together, we can solve the cruel mystery of lupus. Join our team today and support our efforts!