WALKING FOR CHILDREN WITH LUPUS
Date: Postponed TBD Fall 2020
Location: Orange County Great Park
8272 Great Park Blvd.
Irvine, CA 92618
Ceremony: 8:30am| Walk: 9:00am
Route Length: 1.5 miles
Team members and supporters from Beckman High School, Beckman Girls Softball Team, Beckman Boys Baseball Team, Beckman Boys Soccer Team, Portola High School, Irvine High School, Northwood High School, NIU Wushu & Kung Fu Academy, Irvine Girls Softball Association (IGSA), Girls Scouts of Orange County, Zov's Restaurant, WorkShop4Girls, Tiffany's Cofee, Hanabi Judo, Han's Martial Arts, RockyPuzzler.com, and more.
Click "JOIN TEAM" to
1) be a team fundraiser and help Malaya, Audrey, and the Papaya Power! Team raise funds for the Lupus Foundation of America (you can also make an individual donation, if you wish, from this link),
2) walk with Malaya, Audrey, and the Papaya Power! team. If you want to walk on June 6, please click "Join Team" instead of clicking "Donate Now." The link will still give you an option of making an individual donation, if you wish.
Click "DONATE NOW" to
1) make a donation, if you want to support Malaya and the Lupus Foundation of America but are not able to participate in the walk and are not able to commit to fundraising.
What is Lupus?
Lupus is a systemic autoimmune disease that occurs when the body's immune system attacks its own tissues and organs. Inflammation caused by lupus can affect many different body systems—including the joints, skin, kidneys, blood cells, brain, heart, and lungs. People affected with lupus can have times of very active disease, called a flare, and times where the disease is mostly quiet, called remission.
Imagine a day when doctors can say, "There is a cure for lupus." Until that day though, there is work to be done. That's why we are taking action in the fight against lupus. Join us as we participate in the Lupus Foundation of America's Walk to End Lupus Now® to raise critical funds for the estimated 1.5 million people living with lupus in the United States.
Will you join our team and help us reach our fundraising goal and support the Foundation's efforts to improve the quality of life for all people affected by lupus? A generous contribution of $25 or $55 can make a definite impact. What’s more, if your employer offers a Matching Gift Program to employees, you may be able to double your contribution with just a little bit of paperwork. Trust us, it’s worth the effort! Every single dollar counts.
Did you know?
• Lupus is a mysterious and misunderstood autoimmune disease. It strikes without warning, affects each person differently, and has no known causes or cure.
• Lupus symptoms can be severe and highly unpredictable and can damage any organ or tissue, from the skin or joints to the heart or kidneys.
• While lupus can strike anyone at any time, 90% of people living with lupus are women. Women of color are at especially high risk.
• Only one drug has ever been developed and approved by the US Food and Drug Administration specifically to treat the disease.
Together, we can solve the cruel mystery of lupus. Please join our team today!
- Malaya Gaerlan and Audrey Wong, Team Captains