I am Racing to End lupus!
Join me and support the mission of the Lupus Foundation of America! My goal is to raise critical funds for the estimated 1.5 million people living with lupus in the United States. Your donation will help me reach my personal fundraising goal and support the Foundation's efforts to improve the quality of life for all people affected by lupus!
“On purple days I’m sad, I groan, I drag my tail, I walk alone.” — Dr. Seuss
My team's name is Never Purple for the main reason to strive to never have purple days, with or without lupus.Although purple days exist in our world, they aren't ideal for anyone, but especially for the people who are living with lupus. Dr. Seuss' description of "purple days" perfectly describes how it feels like to live with a chronic illness such as Lupus. It is beyond frustrating and soul crushing to live with lupus some days; when the ache and pain is so overpowering to the point where putting on clothes is a two-person job, but that's even if one gets out of bed because some days, that's all one can do. Moan, groan, and cry hoping the pain goes away.Days like these cause excessive stress on the person with lupus which ultimately triggers these "flare ups". These only allow the existing condition to attack the healthy tissues and organs stronger and slow down the progression of the treatment of the condition. These flare ups are what we want to avoid the most, and the best way to approach it is to stay positive with the highest of spirits and avoid purple days!
I am running for a family member with Lupus who significantly feels better and happier knowing the neverending support and love we embrace her with. As a family, we each have our own bracelet to support this lifelong battle with my sister as a reminder that she will never be alone through the sad purple days and happy pink days! My commitment to running this half marathon shows my commitment to ending purple days. With that being said, your support in joining my team by racing or donating to fight Lupus is appreciated beyond words. Thank you!
A LITTLE ABOUT LUPUS...
- Lupus is a complex disease that is hard to define. It strikes without warning, affects each person differently, and has no known causes or cure.
- While lupus mainly affects women between the ages of 15-44, men and children are not spared.
- Lupus symptoms can be severe and highly unpredictable and can damage any organ or tissue, from the skin or joints to the heart or kidneys.
- Only one drug has ever been developed and approved by the US Food and Drug Administration specifically to treat lupus.
- Can be managed through healthy lifestyle
- there are triggers such as enivronmental and hormonal factors that trigger flare ups
NO MORE PURPLE DAYS!
Inspiration of "Never Purple" from Amanda Newell
Newell, Amanda. “How Dr. Seuss' Description of 'Purple Days' Perfectly Explains Chronic Illness.” The Mighty, 31 Dec. 2019, themighty.com/2018/05/dr-seuss-my-many-colored-days-purple-lupus-fibromyalgia-awareness/.
Seuss, et al. My Many Colored Days. Knopf, 1996.