I am making my mark on lupus!
Join me and support the mission of the Lupus Foundation of America! My goal is to raise critical funds for the estimated 1.5 million people living with lupus in the United States. As one of those individuals with Lupus I know firsthand how difficult this illness can be. Somedays I have difficulty walking or grasping items, a simple cold can turn into a serious illness, and I live with some amount of pain in my joints most days, some days it's completely debilitating. Your donation will help me reach my personal fundraising goal and support the Foundation's efforts to improve the quality of life for all people affected by lupus!
Did you know?
- Lupus is a complex disease that is hard to define. It strikes without warning, affects each person differently, and has no known causes or cure.
- While lupus mainly affects women between the ages of 15-44, men and children are not spared.
- Lupus symptoms can be severe and highly unpredictable and can damage any organ or tissue, from the skin or joints to the heart or kidneys.
- Only one drug has ever been developed and approved by the US Food and Drug Administration specifically to treat lupus.
- The drug Benlysta which I rely on for my treatment was the first new medication for this disease in over 50 years.
For those that don’t know the Dopey Challenge is a 4 day Walt Disney World – Run Disney Race Weekend which consists of completing a 5k Thursday, a 10k Friday, a Half Marathon Saturday and a Full Marathon Sunday. Kam and Taylor will both join me on the 5k and 10k and then Taylor will continue on with me for the half and full. My goal is to finish on my feet within the allowed time. A totally crazy goal for someone with all my health problems.
I'll be blogging about my training and journey on the road to the Dopey Challenge at www.fit4abetterlife.com. I welcome anyone that wants to come out with me on a run (warning - I'm very slow) I couldn't even attempt such a big goal without huge support from friends and family most notably my husband Kam, my running partner and son Taylor and Ethan my youngest son and official cheer squad and gym buddy.
Let's end this cycle now! By making a donation today you are joining the fight against lupus! Any amount helps! Thanks for your support!