I am making my mark on lupus!
I was diagnosed with lupus early last year. This diagnosis followed a string of best guesses, trial and error medication regimens, and a fluke accident that led me to a fresh-eyed second opinion. Though my life (and my family's) is by no means "back to normal," I am benefiting from the years of research and advocacy that came before me. I am currently on a cutting-edge biologic drug, the first approved by the FDA specifically to treat lupus, and I have health insurance to help bear the costs.
1.5 million Americans have lupus. It is a complex disease that strikes without warning, affects each person differently, and has no known causes or cure. Symptoms can be severe and highly unpredictable. Lupus can cause damage to any organ or tissue in the body - from the skin and joints to the heart and kidneys.
This year I am participating in the Lupus Foundation of America's Make Your Mark program. The Lupus Foundation of America is the only national force devoted to solving the mystery of lupus. For the month of May, I am hosting a Lupus Awareness Candle Sale to raise critical funds to improve the quality of life for all people affected by lupus through programs of advocacy, research, education, and support. That is why I am asking for your support. Your gift today can make a definite impact and help me get closer to my fundraising goal.
There are a couple of ways you can assist me in my fundraising efforts:
- Make a tax-deductible donation directly through this webpage.
- Purchase candles through my Etsy store (elfinjoy.etsy.com). For the month of May all donations from my candle sales will be donated to the Lupus Foundation of America. In honor of Lupus Awareness Month, I have created a special edition purple Dauntless candle from which all profits will be donated. Donation amounts on other candles have been upped to 20%. Candles make fun gifts for others or treats for you, and you will be contributing to this campaign at the same time.
- Spread the word. Wear purple for the month of May to show your support. Learn about Lupus and Lupus Foundation of America activities at lupus.org. You can also read about my story (a work in progress) on my blog at elfinjoy.wordpress.com.
Thank you for your friendship and support!
Did you know?
- Lupus is a complex disease that is hard to define. It strikes without warning, affects each person differently, and has no known causes or cure.
- While lupus mainly affects women between the ages of 15-44, men and children are not spared.
- Lupus symptoms can be severe and highly unpredictable and can damage any organ or tissue, from the skin or joints to the heart or kidneys.
- Only one drug has ever been developed and approved by the US Food and Drug Administration specifically to treat lupus.
Let's end this cycle now! By making a donation today you are joining the fight against lupus!